The New York State Electronic Equipment Recycling and Reuse Act (Article 27, Title 26 of the Environmental Conservation Law) (the “Act”) ensures that every New York consumer has the opportunity to recycle his or her electronic waste in an environmentally-responsible manner.
The Act requires manufacturers to establish a free and convenient system to eligible consumers for the collection, handling, and recycling or reuse of electronic waste. Manufacturers of covered electronic equipment ("CEE") will be responsible for implementing and maintaining an acceptance program for the discarded electronic waste, with oversight by the NYS Department of Environmental Conservation ("DEC"). For general information about this Act including definition of eligible consumers please see the NYS DEC website (http://www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/65583.html).
COVERED ELECTRONIC EQUIPMENT ("CEE"):
- Small Scale Servers
- Computer Peripherals (including any cable, cord, or wiring permanently affixed to or incorporated into such product)
- Electronic Keyboards
- Electronic Mice or Similar Pointing Devices
- Facsimile Machines (only if intended for use with computer and weighing less than 100 pounds)
- Document Scanners (only if intended for use with computer and weighing less than 100 pounds)
- Printers (only if intended for use with computer and weighing less than 100 pounds)
- Small Electronic Equipment (including any cable, cord, or wiring permanently affixed to or incorporated into such product)
- Digital Video Recorders
- Portable Digital Music Players
- DVD Players
- Digital Converter Boxes
- Cable or Satellite Receivers
- Electronic or Video Game Consoles
IMPORTANT NOTICE REGARDING CUSTOMER DATA ON CEE
Fujitsu and AnythingIT shall not be responsible for any loss or destruction of data on any equipment received. You are solely responsible for all personal and confidential data that may be stored on the CEE. Before you ship any CEE for recycling, you are responsible for:
- (a) deleting the data on the hard-disk drives and any other storage devices in the products;
- (b) backing up or transferring any data prior to deletion;
- (c) removing any removable media, such as diskettes, CDs, or PC Cards; and
- (d) verifying the equipment prior to packaging and shipping.
For removing data on CEE, there are a variety of free data-wiping software applications available. Following the software manufacturer instructions to ensure data is removed from the machine prior to returning for recycling will protect your personal data.
Available Data Wiping Software (note: AnythingIT and Fujitsu provided the list solely for convenience, and make absolutely no representations or warranties regarding the data wiping software programs below. You assume any and all risks of using such software.)
Active@Killdisk - http://www.killdisk.com/
Neither Fujitsu, nor AnythingIT Inc. nor any third party (including shipping service) are liable for lost data or software or dissemination of confidential information.